i just spent 58 fucking dollars on these horrible, horrible prints. the quality is shitty and the colours completely off. some are so dark, like the kelpie boy, that you can’t even make out his fucking face.
they were all set to cmyk colours and jpg:s with 300 dpi. (i think i set the width to at least 2000 px on every piece and they were printed into 20x30) did i do something wrong? i feel so completely stupid. there’s no way i can send these for the giveaway. i just lost like 400 sek and i just want to cry. i have to reprint these obviously, so any help is very much welcome. i’ll probably have to start pumping with my comission information again to make up for this.
Hmn, well my guess would be to go to a local print store and tell them the problem and find out if they can help — I had a similar issue with one of my images, the bg was visible but dark on screen but black on print, luckily it still looks nice… You could also get some photopaper and print out a few tests yourself and adjust the lighting until it looks good, then get it printed correctly (though I’d still tell the printshop about the problem). The issue, as far as I can tell, with dark images, is that paper doesn’t come with LED backlighting =\
I found that when getting my images printed, I had to adjust both the lighting and the saturation in order to get them to print off how they looked on screen. I believe I upped the lighting about 50-70 points on my not-so-dark images(that still had a decent amount of black on them)(and 100+ for ones that were either very dark or had a lot of high contrast) and decreased the saturation until the most vibrant colors started to have a hint of a gray tint(and a note, I’m using Photoshop CS6, so I don’t know if the lighting and saturation adjustments would change based on the program). I will say though, that every printer has their own quirks, and so doing some test prints to see what settings you’ll need to have the best quality print is a VERY good idea. The printers I ended up using printed out even darker and more saturated than the printer I used for the test prints, but they still ended up decent thanks to the adjustments I made.